Requirements for Recording Documents in our County
- WE ARE NOT ATTORNEYS and cannot give any legal advice on what should be filed. We also are not permitted to prepare any documents for filing, per Government Code 81.101.
- Documents received after 4 p.m. will be filed the next business day.
- This office does not accept faxed copies.
- Documents are filed and recorded in a safe and permanent manner, and an index is provided so records may be easily retrieved.
- Your document must be the original or a certified copy. Probate records from other states must be an EXEMPLIFIED or an AUTHENTICATED copy.
- A page is considered to be one side of a sheet of paper and may be no wider than 8 ½ x 14, per 191.007 (B) of the Local Government Code.
- Letters Testamentary are not recorded in our Official Records, per AG Opinion H-410.
- We cannot file an original, unprobated will by itself, per AG Opinion M-511.
- There must be a title at the top of the document, per 191.007 (C) of the Local Government Code.
- An Abstract of Judgment plaintiff’s address must be listed, per Property Code 52.0041.
- Deeds conveying property to a new owner must have a grantee’s address listed per Property Code 11.003.
- Deeds conveying property MUST be in English, per Property Code 11.002.
- Printing, typing and handwriting must be clearly legible, per 191.007 (D) of the Local Government Code.
- Names must be printed under all signatures, per 191.007 (E) of the Local Government Code.
- The property must be located in Leon County.
- Per Local Government Code 193.003 (b), the clerk MUST provide an index for both Grantor and Grantees, therefore, both the DIRECT and INDIRECT party names MUST be on each document.
- All documents must have a proper and complete original notary acknowledgement, per Property Code Sec. 12.001(b)
- All documents must have a return address listed on the bottom or back.
- A margin of at least one inch at the top right of each page and at least 4 ½ inches at the bottom of the last page is deeply appreciated.
- Per Property Code 11.008(f), instruments are not required to have a social security number or a driver license number.
- The recording fee is $15 for the first page, and $4 for each additional page per instrument, as of Jan. 1, 2014. If there are more than 5 names to be indexed, there will be a fee of $.25 per name starting from the 6th name forward.
Redacting SSN from our official records
Click here to download and print the form to request the redaction of a SSN from each document.